Browse/search for people
Dr Edward Forman
Dr Edward Forman
Senior Lecturer in French
Two main areas of current research are:
- ethical aspects of tragedy, particularly Racine and Ancient Greek tragedies and how they (still) help us to explore issues of human responsibility and helplessness (or - more cynically - the excuses we still try to hide behind for our moral shortcomings).
- music on the stage, particularly on the French stage in the seventeenth century (Molière and the beginnings of French opera) and in the early twentieth century (Jean Cocteau and cronies, and their experiments with balletic and operatic forms).
Dialogue on any of the above interests would always be welcome to email@example.com.
Edward Forman, Senior Lecturer. A member of the department since 1978, he teaches a wide range of literary courses with an emphasis on drama.
- Forman, E 2013, ‘Pour être donc humain j’éprouve sa colère!’ Saul, King of Israel, as Tragic Hero in French Drama. Modern Language Review, vol 108., pp. 438-458
- Forman, E 2012, Ida Rubinstein, fixer fatale. in: Paul Fryer (eds) Women in the Arts in the Belle Epoque: Essays on Influential Artists, Writers and Performers.. McFarland and Co., Inc, Jefferson, NC/London, pp. 79-96
- Forman, E 2012, ‘Amy, qu’oses-tu dire?’ Friendship, support and challenge in Racinian tragedy. Seventeenth-Century French Studies, vol 34., pp. 68-76
- Forman, E 2011, Ionesco: La Cantatrice chauve.
- Forman, E 2010, Historical Dictionary of French Theater. Scarecrow Press
- Forman, E 2009, 'Le carnaval autorise cela': cruelty and joie de vivre in the dénouements of the comédie-ballet. in: S Harrow, T Unwin (eds) Joie de vivre in French Literature and Culture. Rodopi, pp. 141 - 154
- Forman, E 2008, Alfred de Musset: Lorenzaccio.
- Forman, E 2008, Eugène Ionesco.
- Forman, E 2007, The Provoked Wife: The Defence of Clytemnestra in Twentieth-century French Drama. Essays in French Literature, vol 44., pp. 85 - 108
- Forman, E 2007, L'Harmonie de l'Univers': Maurice Toesca and the genesis of Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant-Jésus. in: C Dingle, N Simeone (eds) Olivier Messiaen: Music, Art and Literature. Ashgate, pp. 13 - 22
Edit this profile If you are Dr Edward Forman, you can edit this page. Login required.