Browse/search for people
Professor George Davey Smith
Professor George Davey Smith
Professor of Clinical Epidemiology
MA(Oxon), MD,BChir(Cantab), MSc(Lond)
George Davey Smith is a clinical epidemiologist whose research has pioneered (1) understanding of the causes and alleviation of health inequalities; (2) lifecourse epidemiology (3) systematic reviewing of evidence of effectiveness of health care and health policy interventions (4) population health contributions of the new genetics. He has published over 700 peer-reviewed journal articles, 15 books/edited collections and numerous editorials, commentaries and reviews. Major contributions include: a) the demonstration of the influence of childhood socio-economic deprivation on cause-specific morbidity and mortality patterns in adult life; b) methodological developments in meta-analysis (One paper has over 3000 citations to date); c) elucidation of factors underlying socio-economic differences in morbidity and mortality in the UK, US, Norway and India d) the development and application of Mendelian randomisation approaches, interrogating the causal role of behavioural factors (such as alcohol consumption) and intermediate phenotypes (such as fibrinogen and C-reactive protein) on different health outcomes. He is an ISI highly cited scholar (h index greater than 90 – this needs to be calculated manually as citations are under various guises, Smith GD, Davey Smith G, Davey SG, amongst others) and Foreign Associate of the Institute of Medicine. He is co-editor of the International Journal of Epidemiology (during his tenure the impact factor has increased from less than 2 to over 5), has sat on the MRC Public Health and Health Services Research and the MRC Physiological Medicine and Infection Boards and the MRC Military Health Research Advisory Group. He has established or has been central to the running of a large number of epidemiological cohort studies involving detailed clinical and biomarker assessments. He is currently Scientific Director of the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children; during his tenure considerable funds have been secured for ongoing follow-up and the resource has become widely utilised by the scientific community. He is also awarded Directorship of the MRC Centre for Causal Analyses in Translational Epidemiology in 2007 and is Director of the Wellcome Trust 4 year PhD programme in Lifecourse and Genetic Epidemiology at the Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol.
- Sharp, GC, Lawlor, DA, Richmond, RC, Fraser, A, Simpkin, A, Suderman, M, Shihab, HA, Lyttleton, O, McArdle, W, Ring, SM, Gaunt, TR, Smith, GD & Relton, CL 2015, Maternal pre-pregnancy BMI and gestational weight gain, offspring DNA methylation and later offspring adiposity: findings from the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children. International journal of epidemiology.
- Gaunt, TR & Smith, GD 2015, ENOS and coronary artery disease: Publication bias and the eclipse of hypothesis-driven meta-analysis in genetic association studies. Gene, vol 556., pp. 257-258
- Swerdlow, DI, Preiss, D, Kuchenbaecker, KB, Holmes, MV, Engmann, JEL, Shah, T, Sofat, R, Stender, S, Johnson, PCD, Scott, RA, Leusink, M, Verweij, N, Sharp, SJ, Guo, Y, Giambartolomei, C, Chung, C, Peasey, A, Amuzu, A, Li, K, Palmen, J, Howard, P, Cooper, JA, Drenos, F, Li, YR, Lowe, G, Gallacher, J, Stewart, MCW, Tzoulaki, I, Buxbaum, SG, Der A, DLV, Forouhi, NG, Onland-Moret, NC, Der Schouw, YTV, Schnabel, RB, Hubacek, JA, Kubinova, R, Baceviciene, M, Tamosiunas, A, Pajak, A, Topor-Madry, R, Stepaniak, U, Malyutina, S, Baldassarre, D, Sennblad, B, Tremoli, E, De Faire, U, Veglia, F, Ford, I, Jukema, JW, Westendorp, RGJ, De Borst, GJ, De Jong, PA, Algra, A, Spiering, W, Der Zee, AHMV, Klungel, OH, De Boer, A, Doevendans, PA, Eaton, CB, Robinson, JG, Duggan, D, Kjekshus, J, Downs, JR, Gotto, AM, Keech, AC, Marchioli, R, Tognoni, G, Sever, PS, Poulter, NR, Waters, DD, Pedersen, TR, Amarenco, P, Nakamura, H, McMurray, JJV, Lewsey, JD, Chasman, DI, Ridker, PM, Maggioni, AP, Tavazzi, L, Ray, KK, Seshasai, SRK, Manson, JE, Price, JF, Whincup, PH, Morris, RW, Lawlor, DA, Smith, GD, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Schreiner, PJ, Fornage, M, Siscovick, DS, Cushman, M, Kumari, M, Wareham, NJ, Verschuren, WMM, Redline, S, Patel, SR, Whittaker, JC, Hamsten, A, Delaney, JA, Dale, C, Gaunt, TR, Wong, A, Kuh, D, Hardy, R, Kathiresan, S, Castillo, BA, Der Harst, PV, Brunner, EJ, Tybjaerg-Hansen, A, Marmot, MG, Krauss, RM, Tsai, M, Coresh, J, Hoogeveen, RC, Psaty, BM, Lange, LA, Hakonarson, H, Dudbridge, F, Humphries, SE, Talmud, PJ, Kivimäki, M, Timpson, NJ, Langenberg, C, Asselbergs, FW, Voevoda, M, Bobak, M, Pikhart, H, Wilson, JG, Reiner, AP, Keating, BJ, Hingorani, AD & Sattar, N 2015, HMG-coenzyme A reductase inhibition, type 2 diabetes, and bodyweight: Evidence from genetic analysis and randomised trials. J Psychopharmacol, vol 385., pp. 351-361
- Lee, KWK, Richmond, R, Hu, P, French, L, Shin, J, Bourdon, C, Reischl, E, Waldenberger, M, Zeilinger, S, Gaunt, T, McArdle, W, Ring, S, Woodward, G, Bouchard, L, Gaudet, D, Smith, GD, Relton, C, Paus, T & Pausova, Z 2015, Prenatal exposure to maternal cigarette smoking and DNA methylation: Epigenome-wide association in a discovery sample of adolescents and replication in an independent cohort at birth through 17 years of age. Environmental Health Perspectives, vol 123., pp. 193-199
- Ferreira, DLDS, Fraser, A, Howe, LD, Jones, S, Smith, GD, Lawlor, DA, Tapp, R, Ness, AR, Deanfield, J, Chaturvedi, N & Hughes, A 2015, Associations of central and peripheral blood pressure with cardiac structure and function in an adolescent birth cohort: the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children. Journal of the American College of Cardiology.
- Warrington, NM, Zhu, G, Dy, V, Heath, AC, Madden, PA, Hemani, G, Kemp, JP, McMahon, G, St Pourcain, MUB, Timpson, NJ, Taylor, CM, Golding, J, Lawlor, DA, Steer, CD, Montgomery, G, Martin, N, Smith, GD, Evans, D & Whitfield, JB 2015, Genome-wide association study blood lead shows multiple associations near ALAD. Human Molecular Genetics.
- Taylor, PN, Porcu, E, Chew, S, Campbell, PJ, Traglia, M, Brown, SJ, Mullin, BH, Shihab, HA, Min, J, Walter, K, Memari, Y, Huang, J, Barnes, MR, Beilby, JP, Charoen, P, Danecek, P, Dudbridge, F, Forgetta, V, Greenwood, C, Grundberg, E, Johnson, AD, Hui, J, Lim, EM, McCarthy, S, Muddyman, D, Panicker, V, Perry, JRB, Bell, JT, Yuan, W, Relton, C, Gaunt, T, Schlessinger, D, Abecasis, G, Cucca, F, Surdulescu, GL, Woltersdorf, W, Zeggini, E, Zheng, H-F, Toniolo, D, Dayan, CM, Naitza, S, Walsh, JP, Spector, T, Smith, GD, Durbin, R, Richards, JB, Sanna, S, Soranzo, N, Timpson, NJ, Wilson, SG & 2015, Whole-genome sequence-based analysis of thyroid function. Nature Communications, vol 6., pp. 5681
- Taylor, CM, Atkinson, C, Penfold, C, Bhattacharya, S, Campbell, D, Smith, GD, Leary, SD & Ness, AR 2015, Folic acid in pregnancy and mortality from cancer and cardiovascular disease: further follow up of the Aberdeen folic acid supplementation trial. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health.
- Smith, GD & Munafo, M 2015, Why is there a link between smoking and suicide?. Psychiatric services (Washington, D.C.), vol 66., pp. 331
- Satija, A, Hu, FB, Bowen, L, Bharathi, AV, Vaz, M, Prabhakaran, D, Reddy, KS, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Smith, GD, Kinra, S & Ebrahim, S 2015, Dietary patterns in India and their association with obesity and central obesity. Public Health Nutrition., pp. 1-11
Edit this profile If you are Professor George Davey Smith, you can edit this page. Login required.