Browse/search for people
Ms Luisa Zuccolo
Ms Luisa Zuccolo
PhD, MSc DLSHTM
My main interest is in preventable determinants that impact on health and disease.
In particular, I completed a research project on alcohol and prostate cancer, and used new techniques that borrow from genetics to see whether alcohol causes an increase in the risk of this cancer or an increase in the risk of being diagnosed (but not of cancer progression).
Working on this has given me the opportunity to research common genetic variation predisposing to higher alcohol consumption in the population.
I am currently involved in new projects to explore how problem drinking can be transmitted across generations, and what consequences the parents? drinking behaviour has on the offspring?s cognition and behaviour. This work is based on the 'Children of the 90's' study.
epidemiologyMendelian randomizationalcoholcausal inferenceChildren of the 90's
- Murray, J, Burgess, S, Zuccolo, L, Hickman, M, Gray, R & Lewis, SJ, 2015, Moderate alcohol drinking in pregnancy increases risk for children's persistent conduct problems: causal effects in a Mendelian randomisation study. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry.
- O'Keeffe, LM, Kearney, PM, Greene, RA, Zuccolo, L, Tilling, K, Lawlor, DA & Howe, LD, 2015, Maternal alcohol use during pregnancy and offspring trajectories of height and weight: A prospective cohort study. Drug and Alcohol Dependence.
- Shaheen, SO, Rutterford, C, Zuccolo, L, Ring, SM, Smith, GD, Holloway, JW & Henderson, AJ, 2014, Prenatal alcohol exposure and childhood atopic disease: A Mendelian randomization approach. The Journal of allergy and clinical immunology, vol 133., pp. 225-+
- Holmes, MV, Dale, CE, Zuccolo, L, Silverwood, RJ, Guo, Y, Ye, Z, Prieto-Merino, D, Dehghan, A, Trompet, S, Wong, A, Cavadino, A, Drogan, D, Padmanabhan, S, Li, S, Yesupriya, A, Leusink, M, Sundstrom, J, Hubacek, JA, Pikhart, H, Swerdlow, DI, Panayiotou, AG, Borinskaya, SA, Finan, C, Shah, S, Kuchenbaecker, KB, Shah, T, Engmann, J, Folkersen, L, Eriksson, P, Ricceri, F, Melander, O, Sacerdote, C, Gamble, DM, Rayaprolu, S, Ross, OA, McLachlan, S, Vikhireva, O, Sluijs, I, Scott, RA, Adamkova, V & others 2014, Association between alcohol and cardiovascular disease: Mendelian randomisation analysis based on individual participant data. British Medical Journal, vol 349., pp. g4164
- O'Keeffe, LM, Kearney, PM, Greene, RA, Zuccolo, L, Tilling, K, Lawlor, DA & Howe, LD, 2014, Maternal Alcohol Use during Pregnancy and Offspring Trajectories of Height and Weight: A Prospective Cohort Study., pp. 201A-201A
- Scholder, SvHK, Wehby, GL, Lewis, S & Zuccolo, L, 2014, Alcohol Exposure In Utero and Child Academic Achievement. The Economic Journal, vol 124., pp. 634-667
- Zuccolo, L, Lewis, SJ, Smith, GD, Sayal, K, Draper, ES, Fraser, R, Barrow, M, Alati, R, Ring, S, Golding, J, Heron, J, Gray, R & Macleod, JAA, 2013, Prenatal alcohol exposure and offspring cognition and school performance: a 'Mendelian randomization' natural experiment.. International Journal of Epidemiology, vol 42., pp. 1358-1370
- Humphriss, R, Hall, AJ, May, M, Zuccolo, L & Macleod, JAA, 2013, Prenatal alcohol exposure and childhood balance ability: findings from a UK birth cohort study. BMJ Open, vol 3.
- Zuccolo, L, Lewis, SJ, Donovan, JL, Hamdy, FC, Neal, DE & Smith, GD, 2013, Alcohol consumption and PSA-detected prostate cancer risk-A case-control nested in the ProtecT study. International Journal of Cancer, vol 132., pp. 2176-2185
- Lawlor, DA, Nordestgaard, BG, Benn, M, Zuccolo, L, Tybjaerg-Hansen, A & Smith, GD, 2013, Exploring causal associations between alcohol and coronary heart disease risk factors: findings from a Mendelian randomization study in the Copenhagen General Population Study. European Heart Journal.
Edit this profile If you are Ms Luisa Zuccolo, you can edit this page. Login required.