Browse/search for people
Ms Luisa Zuccolo
Ms Luisa Zuccolo
Senior Research Fellow
PhD, MSc DLSHTM
My main interest is in preventable determinants that impact on health and disease.
In particular, I completed a research project on alcohol and prostate cancer, and used new techniques that borrow from genetics to see whether alcohol causes an increase in the risk of this cancer or an increase in the risk of being diagnosed (but not of cancer progression).
Working on this has given me the opportunity to research common genetic variation predisposing to higher alcohol consumption in the population.
I am currently involved in new projects to explore how problem drinking can be transmitted across generations, and what consequences the parents? drinking behaviour has on the offspring?s cognition and behaviour. This work is based on the 'Children of the 90's' study.
epidemiologyMendelian randomizationalcoholcausal inferenceChildren of the 90's
- Zuccolo, L, DeRoo, L, Wills, A, Smith, GD, Surén, P, Roth, C, Stoltenberg, C & Magnus, P, 2016, Pre-conception and prenatal alcohol exposure from mothers and fathers drinking and head circumference: results from the Norwegian Mother-Child Study (MoBa). Scientific Reports, vol 7.
- Taylor, M, Simpkin, A, Haycock, P, Dudbridge, F & Zuccolo, L, 2016, Exploration of a polygenic risk score for alcohol consumption: A longitudinal analysis from the ALSPAC cohort. PLoS ONE, vol 11.
- Brunner, C, Davies, NM, Martin, R, Eeles, R, Easton, D, Kote-Jarai, Z, Al Olama, AA, Benlloch, S, Muir, K, Giles, GG, Wiklund, F, Grönberg, H, Haiman, CA, Schleutker, J, Nordestgaard, BG, Travis, RC, Neal, DE, Donovan, J, Pashayan, N, Khaw, K-T, Stanford, JL, Blot, WJ, Thibodeau, S, Maier, C, Kibel, AS, Cybulski, C, Cannon-Albright, L, Brenner, H, Park, J, Kaneva, R, Batra, J, Teixeira, MR, Pandha, H, & Zuccolo, L, 2016, Alcohol Consumption and Prostate Cancer Incidence and Progression: a Mendelian Randomization Study. International Journal of Cancer.
- O'Keeffe, LM, Kearney, PM, Greene, RA, Zuccolo, L, Tilling, K, Lawlor, DA & Howe, LD, 2015, Maternal alcohol use during pregnancy and offspring trajectories of height and weight: A prospective cohort study. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, vol 153., pp. 323-329
- Murray, J, Burgess, S, Zuccolo, L, Hickman, M, Gray, R & Lewis, SJ, 2015, Moderate alcohol drinking in pregnancy increases risk for children's persistent conduct problems: causal effects in a Mendelian randomisation study. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry.
- Holmes, MV, Dale, CE, Zuccolo, L, Silverwood, RJ, Guo, Y, Ye, Z, Prieto-Merino, D, Dehghan, A, Trompet, S, Wong, A, Cavadino, A, Drogan, D, Padmanabhan, S, Li, S, Yesupriya, A, Leusink, M, Sundstrom, J, Hubacek, JA, Pikhart, H, Swerdlow, DI, Panayiotou, AG, Borinskaya, SA, Finan, C, Shah, S, Kuchenbaecker, KB, Shah, T, Engmann, J, Folkersen, L, Eriksson, P, Ricceri, F, Melander, O, Sacerdote, C, Gamble, DM, Rayaprolu, S, Ross, OA, McLachlan, S, Vikhireva, O, Sluijs, I, Scott, RA, Adamkova, V & others 2014, Association between alcohol and cardiovascular disease: Mendelian randomisation analysis based on individual participant data. British Medical Journal, vol 349., pp. g4164
- Shaheen, SO, Rutterford, C, Zuccolo, L, Ring, SM, Smith, GD, Holloway, JW & Henderson, AJ, 2014, Prenatal alcohol exposure and childhood atopic disease: A Mendelian randomization approach. The Journal of allergy and clinical immunology, vol 133., pp. 225-+
- Lawlor, DA, Benn, M, Zuccolo, L, De Silva, NMG, Tybjaerg-Hansen, A, Smith, GD & Nordestgaard, BG, 2014, ADH1B and ADH1C genotype, alcohol consumption and biomarkers of liver function: Findings from a Mendelian randomization study in 58,313 European origin Danes. PLoS ONE, vol 9.
- Richiardi, L & Zuccolo, L, 2014, Malignant tumors of the male reproductive system. in: Occupational Cancers. Springer-Verlag London Ltd, pp. 423-437
- Silverwood, RJ, Holmes, MV, Dale, CE, Lawlor, DA, Whittaker, JC, Smith, GD, Leon, DA, Palmer, T, Keating, BJ, Zuccolo, L, Casas, JP & Dudbridge, F, 2014, Testing for non-linear causal effects using a binary genotype in a Mendelian randomization study: Application to alcohol and cardiovascular traits. British Medical Journal, vol 43., pp. 1781-1790
Edit this profile If you are Ms Luisa Zuccolo, you can edit this page. Login required.