Browse/search for people
Professor Ruud ter Meulen
Professor Ruud ter Meulen
I am particularly interested in justice in health care, the ethics of research, care of older people, and evidence-based medicine. I have directed several international research projects, including large-scale projects funded by the European Commission, and have published extensively in the field of bioethics.
I am the Director of the Centre for Ethics in Medicine. I was educated in psychology (Catholic University of Nijmegen), an area in which I worked for some years, before moving into the field of bioethics. I was previously the Director of the Institute for Bioethics and Professor for Philosophy and Ethics at the University of Maastricht (1995-2005).
justice in health careethics of researchcare of older peopleevidence-based medicinebioethics
- Birchley, G, Huxtable, R, Murtagh, M, Meulen, Rt, Flach, P & Gooberman-Hill, R, 2017, Smart homes, private homes? An empirical study of technology researchers' perceptions of ethical issues in developing smart-home health technologies. BMC Medical Ethics, vol 18.
- Meulen, Rt, 2016, Solidarity, justice, and recognition of the other. Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics, vol 37., pp. 517-529
- Huxtable, R & Meulen, Rt, 2015, The Voices and Rooms of European Bioethics. Routledge
- Meulen, Rt, Newson, A, Kennedy, M & Schofield, B, 2011, Genomics, health records, database linkage and privacy. Nuffield Council on Bioethics
- Meulen, Rt, Bruchem, A, Arend, Avd, van Wijmen, F, Saad, HH & Spreeuwenberg, C, 2007, The role of nurses in euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide in the Netherlands. Journal of Medical Ethics.
- Meulen, Rt, 2005, Healthcare Rationing: Is Age a Proper Criterion?. in: M Johnson, V Bengtson, P Coleman (eds) The Cambridge Handbook of Age and Ageing. Cambridge University Press, pp. 656 - 661
- Meulen, Rt, Schoot, T, Proot, T & Witte, Ld, 2005, Recognition of client values as a basis for tailored care: the view of Dutch expert patients and family care givers. Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences, vol 19., pp. 169 - 176
- Meulen, Rt, 2005, The ethical basis of the precautionary principle in health care decision making. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol 207 (2) Suppl 1., pp. 663 - 667
- Berghmans, R, Berg, M, Burg, Mvd & Meulen, Rt, 2004, Ethical issues of cost effectiveness analysis and guideline setting in mental health care. Journal of Medical Ethics, vol 30 (2)., pp. 146 - 150
- Meulen, Rt & Dickenson, D, 2002, Into the hidden world behind evidence-based medicine. Health Care Analysis, vol 10 (3)., pp. 231 - 241
Edit this profile If you are Professor Ruud ter Meulen, you can edit this page. Login required.