Browse/search for people
Professor Yoav Ben-Shlomo
Professor Yoav Ben-Shlomo
Professor of Clinical Epidemiology
MB,BS, MSc(Lond), PhD, MRCP
Area of research
Life course epidemiology with interests in ageing, chronic and neurodegerative disease
I have a research interest in neurodegenerative disorders including ageing (as part of the Halcyon collaboration), life course infuences on chronic diseases, neuroepidemiology, chronic kidney disease and equity of access to health care.
Activities / Findings
- The Caerphilly study of cognitive decline and dementia
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics course, University of Bristol
- Lecture on epidemiology of PD to various postgraduate audiences
- health services research
- Parkinson's disease
- multiple system atrophy (MSA)
- progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP)
- cognitive impairment
- Multiple Sclerosis
Processes and functions
- cognitive function
- Case control
- cross-sectional and cohort studies
- randomised control trials (RCTs)
- Hamilton, A, Casula, A, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Caskey, F & Inward, C, 2017, The clinical epidemiology of young adults starting renal replacement therapy in the UK: presentation, management and survival using 15 years of UK Renal Registry data. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation.
- Matsuzaki, M, Kulkarni, B, Kuper, H, Wells, JC, Ploubidis, GB, Prabhakaran, P, Gupta, V, Walia, GK, Aggarwal, A, Prabhakaran, D, Smith, GD, Radhakrishna, KV, Ben-Shlomo, Y & Kinra, S, 2017, Association of Hip Bone Mineral Density and Body Composition in a Rural Indian Population: The Andhra Pradesh Children and Parents Study (APCAPS). PLoS ONE, vol 12.
- Baig, F, Lawton, MA, Rolinski, M, Ruffmann, C, Klein, JC, Nithi, K, Okai, D, Ben-Shlomo, Y & Hu, MT, 2017, Personality and addictive behaviours in early Parkinson's disease and REM sleep behaviour disorder. Parkinsonism and Related Disorders.
- Smith, MC, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Dieppe, P, Beswick, AD, Wilkinson, JM & Blom, AW, 2017, Rates of hip and knee joint replacement amongst different ethnic groups in England: An analysis of National Joint Registry data. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage.
- Schmidt, AF, Swerdlow, DI, Holmes, MV, Patel, RS, Fairhurst-Hunter, Z, Lyall, DM, Hartwig, FP, Horta, BL, Hyppönen, E, Power, C, Moldovan, M, van Iperen, E, Hovingh, GK, Demuth, I, Norman, K, Steinhagen-Thiessen, E, Demuth, J, Bertram, L, Liu, T, Coassin, S, Willeit, J, Kiechl, S, Willeit, K, Mason, D, Wright, J, Morris, R, Wanamethee, G, Whincup, P, Ben-Shlomo, Y, McLachlan, S, Price, JF, Kivimaki, M, Welch, C, Sanchez-Galvez, A, Marques-Vidal, P, Nicolaides, A, Panayiotou, AG, Onland-Moret, NC, Schouw, YTvd, Matullo, G & others 2017, PCSK9 genetic variants and risk of type 2 diabetes: a mendelian randomisation study. Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology, vol 5., pp. 97-105
- Morris, RW, Cooper, JA, Shah, T, Wong, A, Drenos, F, Engmann, J, McLachlan, S, Jefferis, B, Dale, C, Hardy, R, Kuh, D, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Wannamethee, SG, Whincup, PH, Casas, JP, Kivimaki, M, Kumari, M, Talmud, PJ, Price, JF, Dudbridge, F, Hingorani, AD & Humphries, SE, 2016, Marginal role for 53 common genetic variants in cardiovascular disease prediction. Heart.
- Forrest, LF, Adams, J, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Buckner, S, Payne, N, Rimmer, M, Salway, S, Sowden, S, Walters, K & White, M, 2016, Age-related references in national public health, technology appraisal and clinical guidelines and guidance: documentary analysis. Age and Ageing.
- Beaney, KE, Cooper, JA, McLachlan, S, Wannamethee, SG, Jefferis, BJ, Whincup, P, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Price, JF, Kumari, M, Wong, A, Ong, K, Hardy, R, Kuh, D, Kivimaki, M, Kangas, AJ, Soininen, P, Ala-Korpela, M, Drenos, F, Humphries, SE & , 2016, Variant rs10911021 that associates with coronary heart disease in type 2 diabetes, is associated with lower concentrations of circulating HDL cholesterol and large HDL particles but not with amino acids. Cardiovascular Diabetology, vol 15.
- Schmidt, A, Swerdlow, DI, Holmes, MV, Morris, R, Ben-Shlomo, Y & Sattar, N, 2016, PCSK9 genetic variants and risk of type 2 diabetes: a Mendelian randomisation study. Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology.
- Skrobot, OA, O'Brien, J, Black, S, Chen, C, DeCarli, C, Erkinjuntti, T, Ford, GA, Kalaria, RN, Pantoni, L, Pasquier, F, Roman, GC, Wallin, A, Sachdev, P, Skoog, I, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Passmore, AP, Love, S & Kehoe, PG, 2016, The vascular impairment of cognition classification consensus study. Alzheimer's and Dementia.
Networks & contacts
- Niall Quinn and Andrew Lees (Institute of Neurology)
David Burn (Newcastle)
Gilbert Bensimon (France)
Nigel Leigh (Kings College
- Tony Bayer (Cardiff)
Tom Warner (RFHMS)
Brian Hurwitz (Kings College
Edit this profile If you are Professor Yoav Ben-Shlomo, you can edit this page. Login required.