Browse/search for people
Professor Yoav Ben-Shlomo
Professor Yoav Ben-Shlomo
Professor of Clinical Epidemiology
MB,BS, MSc(Lond), PhD, MRCP
Area of research
Life course epidemiology with interests in ageing, chronic and neurodegerative disease
I have a research interest in neurodegenerative disorders including ageing (as part of the Halcyon collaboration), life course infuences on chronic diseases, neuroepidemiology, chronic kidney disease and equity of access to health care.
Activities / Findings
- The Caerphilly study of cognitive decline and dementia
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics course, University of Bristol
- Lecture on epidemiology of PD to various postgraduate audiences
- health services research
- Parkinson's disease
- multiple system atrophy (MSA)
- progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP)
- cognitive impairment
- Multiple Sclerosis
Processes and functions
- cognitive function
- Case control
- cross-sectional and cohort studies
- randomised control trials (RCTs)
- Jones, AD, Hayter, AKM, Baker, CP, Prabhakaran, P, Gupta, V, Kulkarni, B, Smith, GD, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Krishna, KVR, Kumar, PU & Kinra, S, 2016, The co-occurrence of anemia and cardiometabolic disease risk demonstrates sex-specific sociodemographic patterning in an urbanizing rural region of southern India. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol 70., pp. 364-372
- Malek, N, Lawton, MA, Swallow, DMA, Grosset, KA, Marrinan, SL, Bajaj, N, Barker, RA, Burn, DJ, Hardy, J, Morris, HR, Williams, NM, Wood, N, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Grosset, DG & , 2016, Vascular disease and vascular risk factors in relation to motor features and cognition in early Parkinson's disease. Movement Disorders.
- Bailey, P, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Tomson, C & Owen-Smith, A, 2016, Socioeconomic deprivation and barriers to live-donor kidney transplantation: a qualitative study of deceased-donor kidney transplant recipients. BMJ Open, vol 6.
- Turner, E, Metcalfe, C, Donovan, J, Noble, S, Sterne, J, Lane, A, Walsh, E, Hill, L, Down, L, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Oliver, S, Evans, S, Brindle, P, Williams, N, Hughes, LJ, Davies, C, Ng, SY, Neal, D, Hamdy, FC, Albertsen, PC, Reid, C, Oxley, J, McFarlane, J, Robinson, M, Adolfsson, J, Zietman, A, Baum, M, Koupparis, A & Martin, R, 2016, Contemporary accuracy of death certificates for coding prostate cancer as a cause of death: Is reliance on death certification good enough? A comparison with blinded review by an independent cause of death evaluation committee.. British Journal of Cancer.
- Matsuzaki, M, Sullivan, R, Ekelund, U, Krishna, KVR, Kulkarni, B, Collier, T, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Kinra, S & Kuper, H, 2016, Development and evaluation of the Andhra Pradesh Children and Parent Study Physical Activity Questionnaire (APCAPS-PAQ): a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health, vol 16.
- McLachlan, S, Morris, RW, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Gaunt, TR, Drenos, F & , 2016, Replication and Characterization of Association between ABO SNPs and Red Blood Cell Traits by Meta-analysis in Europeans. PLoS ONE, vol 11.
- Börnhorst, C, Siani, A, Russo, P, Kourides, Y, Sion, I, Molnár, D, Moreno, LA, Rodríguez, G, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Howe, L, Lissner, L, Mehlig, K, Regber, S, Bammann, K, Foraita, R, Ahrens, W & Tilling, K, 2016, Early Life Factors and Inter-Country Heterogeneity in BMI Growth Trajectories of European Children: The IDEFICS Study. PLoS ONE, vol 11.
- Bailey, P, Tomson, C & Ben-Shlomo, Y, 2016, What factors explain the association between socioeconomic deprivation and reduced likelihood of live-donor kidney transplantation?: A questionnaire based pilot case-control study. BMJ Open, vol 6.
- Lerchel, S, Heinzell, S, Alves, G, Barone, P, Behnke, S, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Berendse, HW, Burn, DJ, Dodel, R, Grosset, D, Hu, M, Kasten, M, Krüger, R, Liepelt-Scarfone, I, Maetzler, W, Moccia, M, Mollenhauer, B, Oertel, W, Walter, U, Wirdefeldt, K & Berg, D, 2016, Aiming for Study Comparability in Parkinson's Disease: Proposal for a Modular Set of Biomarker Assessments to be Used in Longitudinal Studies. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, vol 8.
- Rao, A, Brück, K, Methven, S, Evans, R, Stel, VS, Jager, KJ, Hooft, L, Ben-Shlomo, Y & Caskey, F, 2016, Quality of Reporting and Study Design of CKD Cohort Studies Assessing Mortality in the Elderly Before and After STROBE: A Systematic Review. PLoS ONE, vol 11.
Networks & contacts
- Niall Quinn and Andrew Lees (Institute of Neurology)
David Burn (Newcastle)
Gilbert Bensimon (France)
Nigel Leigh (Kings College
- Tony Bayer (Cardiff)
Tom Warner (RFHMS)
Brian Hurwitz (Kings College
Edit this profile If you are Professor Yoav Ben-Shlomo, you can edit this page. Login required.