Browse/search for people
Professor Yoav Ben-Shlomo
Professor Yoav Ben-Shlomo
Professor of Clinical Epidemiology
MB,BS, MSc(Lond), PhD, MRCP
Area of research
Life course epidemiology with interests in ageing, chronic and neurodegerative disease
I have a research interest in neurodegenerative disorders including ageing (as part of the Halcyon collaboration), life course infuences on chronic diseases, neuroepidemiology, chronic kidney disease and equity of access to health care.
Activities / Findings
- The Caerphilly study of cognitive decline and dementia
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics course, University of Bristol
- Lecture on epidemiology of PD to various postgraduate audiences
- health services research
- Parkinson's disease
- multiple system atrophy (MSA)
- progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP)
- cognitive impairment
- Multiple Sclerosis
Processes and functions
- cognitive function
- Case control
- cross-sectional and cohort studies
- randomised control trials (RCTs)
- Rao, A, Brück, K, Methven, S, Evans, R, Stel, VS, Jager, KJ, Hooft, L, Ben-Shlomo, Y & Caskey, F, 2016, Quality of Reporting and Study Design of CKD Cohort Studies Assessing Mortality in the Elderly Before and After STROBE: A Systematic Review. PloS one, vol 11., pp. e0155078
- Turner, E, Metcalfe, C, Donovan, J, Noble, S, Sterne, J, Lane, A, Walsh, E, Hill, L, Down, L, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Oliver, S, Evans, S, Brindle, P, Williams, N, Hughes, LJ, Davies, C, Ng, SY, Neal, D, Hamdy, FC, Albertsen, PC, Reid, C, Oxley, J, McFarlane, J, Robinson, M, Adolfsson, J, Zietman, A, Baum, M, Koupparis, A & Martin, R, 2016, Contemporary accuracy of death certificates for coding prostate cancer as a cause of death: Is reliance on death certification good enough? A comparison with blinded review by an independent cause of death evaluation committee.. British Journal of Cancer.
- Lerchel, S, Heinzell, S, Alves, G, Barone, P, Behnke, S, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Berendse, HW, Burn, DJ, Dodel, R, Grosset, D, Hu, M, Kasten, M, Krüger, R, Liepelt-Scarfone, I, Maetzler, W, Moccia, M, Mollenhauer, B, Oertel, W, Walter, U, Wirdefeldt, K & Berg, D, 2016, How to reach study comparability in Parkinson's disease: Proposal for a modular data set in longitudinal studies. Frontiers in aging neuroscience.
- Bailey, P, Tomson, C & Ben-Shlomo, Y, 2016, What factors explain the association between socioeconomic deprivation and reduced likelihood of live-donor kidney transplantation?: A questionnaire based pilot case-control study. BMJ Open.
- Henderson, E, Lord, SR, Gaunt, DM, Brodie, AMD, Close, JC, Lawrence, AD, Whone, AL & Ben-Shlomo, Y, 2016, Rivastigmine for gait stability in patients with Parkinson’s disease (ReSPonD): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 2 trial. Lancet Neurology, vol 15., pp. 249-258
- Ben-Shlomo, Y, Cooper, R & Kuh, D, 2016, The last two decades of life course epidemiology and its relevance for research on ageing. International Journal of Epidemiology.
- Jones, AD, Hayter, AKM, Baker, CP, Prabhakaran, P, Gupta, V, Kulkarni, B, Smith, GD, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Krishna, KVR, Kumar, PU & Kinra, S, 2016, The co-occurrence of anemia and cardiometabolic disease risk demonstrates sex-specific sociodemographic patterning in an urbanizing rural region of southern India. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol 70., pp. 364-372
- Birnie, K, Caskey, FJ, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Sterne, JAC, Gilg, J, Nitsch, D & , CT, 2016, Erythropoiesis-stimulating agent dosing, haemoglobin and ferritin levels in UK haemodialysis patients 2005–13. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation.
- White, J, Sofat, R, Hemani, G, Shah, T, Engmann, J, Dale, C, Shah, S, Kruger, FA, Giambartolomei, C, Swerdlow, DI, Palmer, T, McLachlan, S, Langenberg, C, Zabaneh, D, Lovering, R, Cavadino, A, Jefferis, B, Finan, C, Wong, A, Amuzu, A, Ong, K, Gaunt, TR, Warren, H, Davies, T-L, Drenos, F, Cooper, J, Ebrahim, S, Lawlor, DA, Talmud, PJ, Humphries, SE, Power, C, Hypponen, E, Richards, M, Hardy, R, Kuh, D, Wareham, N, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Day, IN, Whincup, P, Morris, R & others 2016, Plasma urate concentration and risk of coronary heart disease: a Mendelian randomisation analysis. The lancet. Diabetes & endocrinology.
- Swallow, DMA, Lawton, MA, Grosset, KA, Malek, N, Smith, CR, Bajaj, NP, Barker, RA, Ben-Shlomo, Y, Burn, DJ, Foltynie, T, Hardy, J, Morris, HR, Williams, N, Wood, NW, Grosset, DG & , 2016, Variation in Recent Onset Parkinson's Disease: Implications for Prodromal Detection. Journal of Parkinson's disease.
Networks & contacts
- Niall Quinn and Andrew Lees (Institute of Neurology)
David Burn (Newcastle)
Gilbert Bensimon (France)
Nigel Leigh (Kings College
- Tony Bayer (Cardiff)
Tom Warner (RFHMS)
Brian Hurwitz (Kings College
Edit this profile If you are Professor Yoav Ben-Shlomo, you can edit this page. Login required.