Dr Magnus Feldmann
Dr Magnus Feldmann
Lecturer in Politics
2.6, 10 Priory,
11 Priory Road, Clifton, Bristol
(See a map)
Telephone Number (0117) 3318248
Teaching Fellow, Harvard University, 2003-2006; Research Fellow, Program on Justice, Welfare and Economics, Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, Harvard University, 2006-2008; Lecturer at Bristol from 2008
My research focuses on comparative and international political economy and on comparative politics (with a special emphasis on communist and post-communist politics and Central and East European politics). In my current work I explore whether the fall of communism has resulted in different 'varieties of capitalism', and I seek to explain both the causes and consequences of this institutional diversity. My research also contributes to general debates about institutional origins, change and reform. In other published work I have studied the politics of international trade and EMU in Central and Eastern Europe.
My teaching interests include international and comparative political economy, comparative politics and research design.
I am currently teaching:
- POLI31559: States and Markets
- POLI31383: Democracy, Dictatorship and Post-Communism
- SPAIM0030: Philosophy and Research Design in the Social Sciences
I have previously taught:
- POLIM3015: International Political Economy
- POLIM3025: Comparative Research Design
As a Teaching Fellow, I have also contributed to units on Russian Politics in Transition, Economic Development in East Asia, The Cuban Revolution and The Modern World Economy, 1870-2000.
- Feldmann, GMA 2013, Coalitions and Corporatism: The Slovenian Political Economy and the Crisis. Government and Opposition., pp. 1-22
- Feldmann, GMA 2013, From the Ruble Zone to the Euro Zone: The Political Economy of Estonian Macroeconomic Policy. Post-Soviet Affairs, vol 29., pp. 354-370
- Feldmann, G 2008, Baltic States: When Stability Culture is not Enough. in: K Dyson (eds) The Euro at 10: Europeanization, Power and Convergence. Oxford University Press, pp. 243 - 257
- Feldmann, G 2008, The Origins of Varieties of Capitalism: Lessons from Post-Socialist Transition in Estonia and Slovenia. in: B Hancké, M Rhodes, M Thatcher (eds) Beyond Varieties of Capitalism: Conflicts, Complementarities and Institutional Change in European Capitalism. Oxford University Press, pp. 328 - 350
- Feldmann, G 2006, Emerging Varieties of Capitalism in Transition Countries: Industrial Relations and Wage Bargaining in Estonia and Slovenia. Comparative Political Studies, vol 39 (7)., pp. 829 - 854
- Feldmann, GMA 2013, Varieties of Capitalism and the Estonian Economy: Institutions, Growth and Crisis in a Liberal Market Economy. Communist and Post-Communist Studies, vol 46.
- Feldmann, GMA 2012, Don’t Forget the Public Sector. Renewal, vol 20., pp. 67-70
- Feldmann, G 2010, Review: Representation through Taxation: Revenue, Politics and Development in Postcommunist States. Europe-Asia Studies, vol 62., pp. 535 - 536
- Feldmann, G 2010, 'Review'. Political Studies Review, vol 8., pp. 128 - 128
- Feldmann, G 2009, Review: Varieties of Capitalism in Post-Communist Countries. Political Studies Review, vol 7., pp. 266 - 266
Full publications list in the University of Bristol publications system