Dr Melanie Griffiths
Dr Melanie Griffiths
Senior Research Associate
1.06, 3 Priory Road,
11 Priory Road, Clifton, Bristol
(See a map)
Telephone Number (0117) 331 0852
Deportability and the Family: Migrant Men's Negotiations of the Right to Respect for Family Life
In January 2014, Melanie started a three-year research post at the University of Bristol as an ESRC Future Leaders Fellow. The project, entitled Detention, Deportability and the Family: Migrant Men's Negotiations of the Right to Respect for Family Life, is on the family lives and Article 8 rights of men at risk of deportation, and is being mentored by Professor Tariq Modood and Dr Katharine Charsley. Grant number ES/K009370/1.
In 2013, Melanie spent nine months as an Associate Research Fellow at the University of Exeter, working with Dr Nick Gill on an ESRC-funded project looking at disparities between asylum appeals heard at Tribunal hearing centres across England and Wales. This post involved three months of intensive ethnographic observation of asylum appeals (First-Tier, Upper Tribunal and Detained Fast Track).
Melanie's doctoral research was conducted at the University of Oxford, in association with COMPAS and the Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology. The thesis considered the asylum system in the UK, focusing particularly on refused asylum seekers and immigration detainees. Entitled ‘Who is Who Now?’ Truth, Trust and Identification in the British Asylum and Immigration Detention System, it was supervised by Professor Marcus Banks and examined by Professors Tony Good and Mary Bosworth. It considers the role and negotiation of identification requirements in the asylum system. Melanie has also written on time, uncertainty, masculinity and bureaucratic relations in the migration field.
- Griffiths, M, 2014, Men and the Emotional World of Immigration Detention. Migration: The COMPAS Anthology.
- Griffiths, M, 2014, Out of Time: The Temporal Uncertainties of Refused Asylum Seekers and Immigration Detainees. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies.
- Griffiths, M, 2013, Living with Uncertainty: Indefinite Immigration Detention. Journal of Legal Anthropology, vol 1., pp. 263-286
- Griffiths, M, 2013, 'Here, man is nothing!’: Gendered tensions and male failed asylum seekers Refugee Studies Centre Public Lecture podcast. Refugee Studies Centre, University of Oxford
- Griffiths, M, 2013, ‘Establishing Your True Identity’: The Negotiation of Discourses of Identification by Detained Asylum Seekers in Oxfordshire. in: I About, J Brown, G Lonergan (eds) People, Papers, Practices: Identification and Registration Practices in Transnational Perspective. Palgrave Macmillan
- Griffiths, M, Rogers, A & Anderson, B, 2013, Migration, Time and Temporalities: Review and Prospect. COMPAS Research Resources Paper. COMPAS
- Griffiths, M, 2013, Frenzied, Decelerating and Suspended: the Temporal Uncertainties of Failed Asylum Seekers and Immigration Detainees. COMPAS
- Griffiths, M, 2012, Anonymous Aliens: Questions of Identification in the Detention and Deportation of Failed Asylum Seekers. Population, Space and Place, vol 18., pp. 715-727
- Griffiths, M, 2012, 'Vile liars and truth distorters’: Truth, trust and the asylum system. Anthropology Today, vol 28., pp. 8-12
Full publications list in the University of Bristol publications system