Information for reviewers
Staff Review and Development is an essential part of the University's commitment to developing staff and to delivering a high quality service in Schools, Faculties and Divisions.
Preparing for the review period:
1. Ensure you have attended the mandatory training for reviewers before the review season starts. The training focuses on the key skills of giving feedback, setting useful objectives and using a coaching approach to the process.
For academic staff, the module is called 'Staff Review & Development'. For Professional Services staff, the training forms part of the 'Line Managing @UoB' induction module which you should have completed in the early days of your line manager role. If not, please book onto the training ASAP.
2. Attend the briefing given by your senior manager to hear about strategic or departmental objectives that should be cascaded, or any other updates relevant to the staff review process.
3. Schedule review meetings with your team, preferably after you have had yours unless your departmental Head has proposed an alternative approach. You should ideally be conducting no more than 8 reviews.
Before each review meeting:
- Check that your staff member has completed the Essential Training in MyReview
- Read your staff member's draft self-assessment form in MyReview and prepare your thoughts on their reflections and objectives. This will help you form an agenda for discussion at the meeting.
- Make a note of any other specific points you wish to discuss with your staff member, including any cascaded departmental objectives or updates
At the review meeting:
- Make sure the conversation is led by the reviewee; this is their chance to reflect upon and discuss their development with you and how they may contribute to departmental or strategic objectives
- Be open, honest and constructive in your conversation
- Take an evidence-based approach to giving performance feedback, referring to any suitable benchmarks, pieces of work / project outcomes, peer observation reports, colleague feedback and other relevant sources
- Celebrate successes and achievements when reflecting on performance against the reviewee's previous year's objectives
- Consider any objectives that haven't been achieved and discuss the potential barriers or reasons for this
- When setting future objectives with your staff member, make sure they are SMART, contain a degree of 'stretch' for that individual and are related to strategic or departmental goals
- Have conversations directly related to pay - instead, take the opportunity to discuss future career aspirations with your staff member
- Bring up performance issues that haven't previously been raised over the course of the year - there should be no unexpected surprises for your staff member related to their performance
After each meeting:
- Your reviewee must update the 'Outcomes' tab of their MyReview form with the objectives agreed at the meeting and make any other amendments as discussed. Once finished, they will 'Share and Finalise' their form with you.
- You should now add your summary to the Outcomes section and 'Share and Finalise' back to your reviewee, where they will then view and accept your comments if happy with them. This will complete the finalisation of the form.
After the review period:
- Once you have completed reviews with all your staff members, collate any common developmental or training needs and any other themes and report these back to your senior manager or departmental head for actioning. You may wish to use the Overall Departmental Planning Form (Office document, 22kB) for this purpose.
Introducing Performance Reviews
This article provides an overview of the performance review process. It addresses the roles and responsibilities of managers and team members, the key aspects of performance review meetings and an approach to best practice.
Access MyReview to update or complete your review form
How to use MyReview
Handbooks for Reviewers
Paper review forms
Paper copies of the Staff Review form are available for staff who don't have easy access to the online MyReview platform. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help. These staff can complete their Essential Training modules online here.
Contact your departmental HR team for general SR&D queries or concerns
For MyReview system queries, contact email@example.com or call ext. 40758