Couple and family: Sinclair House

Welcome to your new home. This guide will help make your stay in our accommodation as happy and successful as possible, for you and your family. This information should be used with the Local Rules, which contains general rules and regulations of living in our couple and family accommodation.

Service or resourceSummary
Reporting absence It is very important that we know when you and your family are away in case there is a fire or other emergency. To report your absence from hall please complete the absence form for Manor Hall.
Room access University staff and contractors will normally try to give 24 hours notice that access is required to a flat or bedroom, however in the case of an emergency immediate access may be necessary. See the University’s guidance for accessing accommodation (PDF, 120KB). Where a repair has been requested notice that access is required will be deemed to have been given. All University staff and contractors will carry identification and residents should always ask to see it.
Moving in

Your Student Support Adviser will be in touch with you regarding your moving in day. A friendly team will meet you, give you your keys, and show you how to get to your flat.

Bike storage

Please request a bicycle store key on arrival. Bicycles must be locked to the hoops provided within the storage areas, using a good quality lock. Always ensure that the bike store door locks behind you when you leave it. Do not bring more than one bicycle per person with you as the hall cannot accommodate more than one bicycle per resident.

Bicycles must not be brought into the buildings as this contravenes fire regulations. Any bicycle found in the buildings, including in bedrooms, will be removed. Bicycles left outside the buildings other than in designated bike storage areas are also liable to be removed.

Please read your contents insurance with regard to cover for your bike and ensure that it is stored as per the conditions of the cover. If the value of your bike is greater than the cover provided you should consider either extending your insurance policy or finding another suitable policy. 


You are responsible for cleaning your own flat. Regular cleaning is essential to maintain a reasonable standard. From time to time (usually not more than once a term), residence staff may check your flat for cleanliness as part of routine health and safety checks. Prior notice will be given of any such check.

On vacating the flat at the end of the accommodation contract, you should ensure that the flat is left in a good clean condition, including:

  • All carpeted areas vacuumed
  • All other floor areas swept and mopped
  • All cupboards, wardrobes, chests of drawers emptied and all rubbish disposed of properly
  • The fridge/freezer emptied, defrosted and cleaned
  • The oven and hob cleaned
  • The shower-room cleaned 

We will usually communicate with you by email to your University of Bristol email address so please make sure you check your University email regularly. Official notices and other formal communications will be sent to you principally through the mailing list. Your University of Bristol email address will automatically be added to this list at the start of the accommodation contract.

If you wish to discuss a pastoral or welfare issue, please approach your Senior Resident or the Student Support Adviser, or make an appointment to see the Warden through the Student Support Adviser. We will only take telephone messages for students in an emergency.


Very occasionally students are unhappy with their accommodation or the services they are receiving. The residences have a complaints procedure (PDF, 155KB) which details how you can submit a complaint to us.  

If you have taken your complaint through the agreed procedure you may take the case to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education, which provides an independent scheme for the review of student complaints. The OIA will consider cases only when the University’s own internal complaints and appeal procedures have been exhausted. It will not intervene on matters which turn purely on academic assessment.

Unresolved complaints may be directed to the UUK Student Accommodation Code


You will be charged for any cleaning, repairs or replacements needed to University property that go beyond normal wear and tear and which arise out of damage or negligence by yourself, your family, or your guests. You have the right to appeal against any charge to your Residential Facilities Manager.

An example of charges is given below, please note that these may vary according to labour or costs involved (all charges are subject to depreciation). Charges are subject to an administrative fee of 15% up to a maximum of £50. 

  • Clean one wall - £25
  • Repaint one wall - £100
  • Replace one mattress - £100
  • Clean one carpet - £50
  • Replace one carpet - £200
  • Clean one fridge, freezer, oven or hob - £30
  • Clean one kitchen, bedroom or bathroom - £55
Electrical equipment and portable appliance testing

All University owned electrical equipment is PAT tested when it is new and all University owned equipment is subject to regular testing. The University will not test any personal electrical equipment you may bring and we do not accept any liability for its safety. We do ask that you adhere to the following:

  • Any electrical appliances you bring must be British Standard approved and correctly wired.
  • Electrical appliances must not be used in bathrooms and showers unless designed for that purpose.
  • Mains extension leads can be used provided that the load on the extension is no more than 13 amps and use is limited to one lead per socket. Cables should be positioned carefully and not present a trip hazard or other risk.
  • All equipment must be suitable for use in the UK. The electricity supply in the UK is 220 – 240v.
  • You must not modify or interfere with the University’s electrical equipment. Any faults, possible hazards or safety concerns should be notified to a member of staff as soon as possible
  • Heaters and cooking equipment are not permitted in bedrooms and may be removed into storage.

The risk assessments for residential accommodation, in particular those which relate to fire, cover all electrical equipment which we anticipate a residential student will use. The University reserves the right to inspect residents’ electrical equipment and if in their view such equipment poses a risk then staff will take the equipment into safe keeping or request that you remove the equipment from the premises.


The University is committed to reducing our carbon impact and encourages residents to reduce energy and water use and participate in the various carbon reduction initiatives. All residents are asked to use energy responsibly. In particular to ensure that:

  • All gas or electrical items are turned off when rooms are empty unless required for security.
  • All laptops or PCs are set to hibernate or standby. To set your computer go to the start menu, select control panel, select power options (often found in Performance and Maintenance) then select standby or hibernate.
Facilities and furnishings

Each of our couple and family flats are fully furnished. Items available in each flat can vary, as additional items may have been left by previous tenants. 

We do not supply bed linen, duvets, pillows, crockery, cutlery or cooking utensils. You can order these to be delivered to your residence before your arrival. 

Family members

Residents are expected to behave in a manner which enables all occupants to live harmoniously and allow for quiet study and recreation, and as the Student Resident, you are responsible for the behaviour, safety and conduct of your family members and guests at all times. In particular, you should take care to ensure that your children do not disturb other residents and neighbours.

The Student Resident is also responsible for any damage done by family members or guests to the flats or to the gardens. Children brought into the main building must be closely supervised at all times.


Fire alarm testing and drill: Fire alarms will be tested regularly and details are on posters in your residence. You do not need to evacuate during a fire alarm test. If you hear a fire alarm at any other time or if the fire alarm sounds continuously for more than 10 seconds you must evacuate the building immediately. Fire evacuation drills are held approximately once a term. 

Emergency Assembly Point: The assembly point is in the Sinclair House garden  

No one should leave the assembly area until the building has been checked for safety. You must not return to evacuated buildings until told to do so by a member of staff. 

Students and their families must familiarise themselves with the fire and safety regulations and procedures.

Please read the Action in Case of Fire notice in your flat and make sure you have familiarised yourself with fire exit routes from your flat and from communal parts of the residence.

In the event of the fire alarm sounding you must evacuate the building immediately and assemble at the assembly point shown above. Do not wait to pick up personal belongings. You are not expected to fight fires, only use extinguishers to aid your escape in an emergency.

Once you have evacuated the building, call 999 if no one else had done so, or University Security on 0117 331 1223. Never assume it is a false alarm.

The residence is equipped with fire and smoke alarms, and with fire fighting equipment. This equipment must not be tampered with. All bedrooms are equipped with smoke detectors and some are linked to the automatic fire alarm. These are very sensitive and are easily set off. False alarms cause disruption and annoyance to all other residents. False alarms also put lives at risk. If the fire and rescue service is dealing with a false alarm, they can’t go to help those in need at a real emergency, such as a fire or road traffic collision. Please do all you can to limit false alarms. The most common cause of false fire alarms is cooking setting off corridor alarms because the kitchen door has been propped open. The highest fire risks arise from cooking being left unattended or students using dirty pans especially grill pans.

Fire exit doors/routes must be kept free from obstruction at all times. Do not obstruct corridors and stairs. These must be clear so that in the event of a fire rapid exit from buildings is possible. This is one reason why bikes are not to be brought into buildings. Anything found to be obstructing a fire exit may be removed into storage without notice. The covering of fire safety signs is also prohibited.

First aid

First Aid Boxes are located in the Student Support Adviser’s Office (the Hall Office, main building), The Lodge (main building) and in each Senior Resident's room.

Gardens and grounds

The gardens and grounds are maintained by the University’s Grounds Services. In the case of ice or snow access will be cleared by the residence porters or grounds services as appropriate. Please note that residences’ gardens or grounds may be shared with other University Departments and may be used for events such as weddings or conferences. 

You are welcome to enjoy the hall’s gardens and grounds but please treat them with care and respect, remove all litter and keep noise levels down. Ball games, Frisbee and skateboarding are not permitted anywhere in the buildings or grounds. 


We regret that we cannot have visitors aged under 16 staying in any of our residences. All overnight guests over the age of 16 must be registered by completing the Manor Hall guest form at least 48 hours in advance of their stay. The hall has a limited number of guest mattresses available that may be hired from the Student Support Adviser during office hours (9am to 4pm, Monday to Friday) at a cost of £2 per night. 

Guests should generally stay no more than 3 nights except in exceptional circumstances which you should discuss with your Student Support Adviser.


The University does not accept responsibility for residents’ personal possessions. Your first payment of accommodation fees includes a fee for block contents insurance, it is essential that you check the cover provided is adequate to your needs.

Kitchens and pantries

Typically flat kitchens are equipped with an electric oven and hob, a microwave oven, an electric kettle, a toaster, a fridge with ice box, storage cupboards, a sink, work surfaces, and a waste bin.

Remember that any electrical equipment you bring into your kitchen must be safe. Electrical appliances may be inspected by staff and removed to storage at their absolute discretion if in their view they may present a risk.


The launderette can be found on the lower ground floor of the main building at the far end of corridor 0 West. On arrival you will be given a card to operate the machines. You will need this card to create an online account to add credit. Comprehensive instructions are above the machines. A wash cycle costs £2.50 and a drying cycle costs £1.50.

If there are any issues with the laundry equipment please contact the suppliers, Washstation, direct on their helpline. 0800 141 2331. This number is also on each of the machines.

Lost cards can be replaced at a cost of £10. Please visit the Accommodation Manager for a new card.


Residents are responsible for ensuring that the gardens and grounds are kept free of litter.

Lost keys and lock outs

If you mislay your keys or lock them in your flat, depending on the time of day, please contact the Accommodation Manager or Handyman/Porter on duty (weekdays until 19:00), the Duty Senior Resident (weekday evenings from 19:00 and weekends/bank holidays from 10:00 to 23:30) or University Security Services (overnight from 23:30) for assistance. You will be asked to show proof of identity.

If you lose your keys, please report their loss to the Accommodation Manager as soon as possible. You will normally be issued with a loan set temporarily but, if you do not find the original keys and return the loan set promptly, you will be charged £20 each for lost keys.

Lost property

The residence does not accept any responsibility for any personal items left unattended by residents in the communal areas of the hall. Any found items should be handed in to the Hall Office or Lodge. If you have lost an item, please enquire at the Hall Office in the first instance.

Items of lost property unclaimed within three months will be disposed of.


The postal address for all residents, irrespective of which building your flat is in, is: Manor Hall, Lower Clifton Hill, Bristol, BS8 1BU. 

All in-coming letters and parcels should show your or your family member's given name and surname clearly on the address – we will not always recognise nicknames. Items with unrecognised addressee names will be returned to sender.

All mail and parcels for Sinclair House is delivered to neighbouring hall, Clifton Hill House, and sorted by the Reception staff there.

Letters (other than those marked ‘Private’ or similarly), magazines, post cards, etc. for all residents will be brought down to Manor’s main building and placed in the A-Z pigeon holes. Please check these regularly.

Parcels, recorded delivery letters and letters marked ‘Private’ or similarly are held securely at Clifton Hill House Reception. Listings of letters and parcels being held at Clifton Hill House Reception will be displayed by the post pigeon holes in the entrance hallway of the main building. Reception is normally open between 08.00 and 19.00 Monday to Friday and on Saturday mornings between 09.00 and 14.00. You will be asked to show proof of identity when you collect your parcels, etc.

The hall is unable to forward post on to you once you have moved out so please remember to change your addresses once you leave. Any post received for residents who have left hall will be returned to sender.


All University of Bristol residences are managed in compliance with Universities UK Code of Practice, a copy is available in the Manor Hall Office.

Medical care

You are advised to register you and your family members with the University Students’ Health Service, registration events will take place throughout Welcome Week.

Students with disabilities or special needs

If you or a family member has a disability or if you or a family member are ill or sustain an injury that could prevent you/them from leaving your accommodation in an emergency please ensure that you make your Student Support Adviser aware so that suitable measures can be put in place to enable you to live comfortably and safely in your residence.

PEEPs (Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans) are intended to be used to plan in advance for those who may need assistance or special arrangements during an emergency evacuation of the building.  The PEEP will be completed by the Accommodation Manager and the individual and be signed-off by the Fire Safety Adviser.


The University offers a limited number of residential parking permits to students living in University-allocated accommodation. Before bringing your vehicle to University-allocated accommodation, please ensure that you have applied for and obtained a parking permit.


All repairs must be reported using the Sinclair House online repair reporting form. Reporting a problem any other way may result in a delay in getting the repair seen to. 

Décor and furnishings will be maintained in good order in accordance with the relevant regulations, with regular checks taken on defects. Repairs are managed and carried out by the University’s Estates Office who also ensure that the University complies with the Statutory Requirements of Legislation affecting the safe and efficient use of the residences. Estates aim to respond to repair requests to a timetable:

  • Emergency (e.g. loss of water supply, major flood) - response within one hour, rectification as soon as possible but within 24 hours
  • Critical (e.g. loss of heating, cooking facilities) - response and repair commenced within 24 hours
  • Urgent (e.g. minor leak, blocked drain) - response and repair commenced within 5 working days
  • Routine (e.g. repair to non-essential furniture or kitchen equipment) - a specific date will be agreed usually within 5 weeks.
Rubbish and recycling

Recycling facilities are located between Manor House and Sinclair House. We provide recycling and composting facilities for all students at their residence and also at every University building. You can recycle the following items:

  • Papers
  • Cardboard
  • Glass
  • Tins and cans
  • Plastics
  • Food waste
  • Clothes, shoes, bric-a-brac etc

For more information, see our green university pages. 


Emergency number (24 hour): 0117 331 1223 (internal 112233)

Non-emergency number: 0117 928 7848 (internal 87848)

Security is managed by the University’s Security Services in accordance with a Service Level Agreement. There are University Security patrols on duty throughout the night. 

Social spaces

Manor Hall’s club bar - The Sun and Serpent, is located on the lower ground floor of the main building. All hall residents are automatically members of the club. However, any residents who are under 18 years of age will not be able to purchase alcohol from the bar. Guest non-members are very welcome but must be over 18 and must be signed in at the bar by a club member.

The bar is open for drink sales on most evenings in term time, although opening hours generally reduce over the course of the year, especially during the summer examination period. The bar provides a focal point for hall life in the evenings and social events, such as quizzes, open mic nights and themed nights, are regularly held in the bar in term time. Residents may apply for bar staff positions early in the autumn term. The bar is subject to UK licensing legislation and residents who breach bar regulations are liable to be excluded from the bar area when the bar is open for drinks sales.

Library - located in the main building just off the entrance hallway. It is available to residents for quiet study 24 hours a day. Please observe the Library regulations.

Computer Room - located in the main building just off the entrance hallway and is available for quiet study 24 hours a day. In addition to a number of desk top pcs, it is equipped with a printer/copier linked to the University’s Print Release network.

Music Room - with grand piano, is located on the lower ground floor of the main building next to the Common Room. It is available for music practice between 10am and 9pm daily and can be self-booked in advance if wished.

Gardens - available for the quiet enjoyment of all residents. Ball games (and Frisbee) are not permitted in the hall’s gardens and grounds.

Television licenses

If you watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV – on any device – you need to be covered by a TV Licence. That includes a TV, laptop, tablet, mobile phone, games console, digital box, DVD/VHS recorder or anything else. Our residence licence doesn’t cover a student in their room/flats, and your parents’ licence also won’t cover you.

You also need to be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This applies to any device and provider you use. For more information and to buy a license, visit the TV Licensing website.


Students in University-allocated accommodation receive a bus pass included in their rent. See for details of the bus services. 

Details of access to public transport and designated safe cycling and walking routes can be found at

Advice and support

If you are experiencing any difficulties with any aspect of your living situation or life at University, you are encouraged to contact your residence pastoral team, which is made up of your Student Support Adviser, Warden, Deputy Warden and Senior Resident team. You can get details of who is who and how to get in touch on our contacts page.

Other support is available from the Accommodation Office for help with all housing related problems, the Student Fees and Funding Office for help with all money problems, and Student Services, which provides access to a wide range of help and support. The Bristol Students’ Union also provides support and advice to all students on a range of issues.

Find us on Facebook

Meet your fellow residents over on our official Facebook Page.

Edit this page