Funding advice

Help and advice

The Student Funding Office can help with:

  • Scholarships
  • Hardship funds
  • Loans and UK government support
  • Budgeting advice
  • Emergency loans
  • Advice on how transferring courses, withdrawing or suspending can affect your funding.

Tel: +44 (0)117 331 7972

Funding postgraduate study

Tuition fees

If you are a self-funded postgraduate student, you will pay your fees to the university.

If you're sponsored by an external organisation, you must send evidence of this to the Income office. Sponsorship includes a government department, charity or company.

Find out how and when to pay your fees or tell us about your sponsorship.

Funding for UK and EU students

Master’s funding

The UK government now offers a postgraduate study loan of up to £10,609 for master's-level study.

Your regional government provides funding support and decides how much you are eligible for.

If you are studying a master's and need further financial support, or you are not eligible for a postgraduate study loan, you can apply for a Professional and Career Development Loan (PCDL). A PCDL is a subsidised bank loan designed to support further study.

The Professional and Career Development Loan scheme is closing and the deadline for applications is 25 January 2019.

Postgraduate research funding

If you have University or Research Council funding, you will receive an email from the Student Funding Office about your stipend payment. You should have a letter from your School confirming your stipend amounts. Once you've completed online registration you'll be able to see the dates and amounts in the MyBristol portal.

If you need help with course fees and living costs, the UK government offers a non-means tested postgraduate study loan of up to £25,000:

Your eligibility depends upon whether you are receiving other types of funding and which regional government provides your funding support.

Please contact the Contact the Student Funding Office with any questions.

Funding for international students

You will need to organise funds for your tuition fees and living costs before you arrive at the University.

If you have University funding, you will receive confirmation of any scholarship or award before you start your studies.

If you need emergency financial help for a one-off cost, speak to the Student Funding Office about the International Hardship Fund.


Edit this page