International students: Getting to the University
Find out how to get to the University by using the University Maps and Travel Information.
When should you arrive in Bristol?
If you are living in university-allocated accommodation, find out about arrivals and moving in. If you are living in private rented accommodation, find out from your landlord when the accommodation will be available.
If you arrive before your accommodation is ready you will need to find somewhere else to stay.
Where we can meet you
Leaving home and arriving in a different country can be overwhelming. We are here to help. Our friendly International Student Ambassadors can meet you at:
- Heathrow Airport, Terminal 2/3 Central Bus Station (21-23 September, from 10 am – 6 pm)
- Bristol Airport Arrivals Hall (21-23 September, from 10 am – 6 pm)
- Bristol Coach Station (21-23 September, from 9 am – 7 pm)
- Bristol Temple Meads Train Station (21-23 September, from 9 am – 7 pm)
Ambassadors will be wearing red and white shirts and have University of Bristol signs. They will be able to answer any questions you have and help you get your coach or train transfer to Bristol.
If you are delayed, or you arrive at any other time, you will need to make your own way to your Bristol accommodation from the airport or station.
Free shuttle bus
There will be a free shuttle bus service from Bristol Coach Station and Bristol Temple Meads Train Station to transfer you to your university accommodation.
This service is available if you are arriving between 21-23 September, between 9 am – 7 pm.
If you would like us to help you on arrival, please tell us your arrival details
Travelling from Bristol Airport
Bristol Airport is eight miles (13 km) south of the city and has scheduled flights to many UK and European cities. To get to the University from Bristol Airport:
- The Airport Flyer Express bus (service A1) runs approximately every ten minutes at peak times between the airport and Bristol Bus and Coach Station near the University campus.
- Further travel information is available from the Bristol Airport website.
Travelling from Heathrow Airport
You can book a coach with two companies:
When buying your ticket, remember to:
- book a coach that departs three hours (minimum) after your plane arrives, to allow for flight delays and border control;
- buy a 'standard' or 'fully flexible fare', as this allows you to change your ticket before the journey;
- buy additional luggage allowance if you are travelling with more than two medium-sized suitcases.
National Express coach service
As an international student, you are entitled to a 50% discount for National Express by using the link above. You must buy tickets online, at least three days in advance, in order to get this discount.
National Express coach services travel directly to Bristol Coach Station where you will be able to use the free shuttle bus service to your accommodation. On arrival, speak to one of our International Student Ambassadors.
Megabus coach service
Megabus coach services from Heathrow Airport arrive at Bond Street, Bristol. If you wish to use the free shuttle bus service to your accommodation, you will need to walk to Bristol Coach Station and speak to one of our International Student Ambassadors.
It is possible to travel by train, but this involves an underground journey from Heathrow Airport to London Paddington train station. This will make your journey longer and cost more money.
Get an international student 50% discount for travel from Heathrow or Gatwick airports travel.