Insight into Bristol
Insight into Bristol is an innovative residential summer school that gives students from London access to the University of Bristol’s academic expertise and facilities.
Insight into Bristol offers the following opportunities:
- A residential summer school at the University of Bristol that will include:
- academic sessions
- access to a range of facilities
- the chance to explore the University.
- Follow-up support sessions in London during Year 13, including support with UCAS applications.
Insight into Bristol brochure 2018
Download the Insight into Bristol 2018 programme (PDF, 683kB) for more information.
Applying for Insight into Bristol
Applications for Insight into Bristol 2018 are now closed. We will be in touch with all applicants before the end of April.
Please check back for details of application for the 2019 programme later in the year.
Subjects you can study
As part of Insight into Bristol you can choose one of a number of subject areas in arts; engineering; health and biomedical sciences; sciences; and social sciences. Each subject stream gives you an idea of what it's like to study at the University of Bristol.
You will have the opportunity to work with academics and current students, who can offer advice and guidance about higher education and your chosen area of study.
Find out more information on the subject streams we offer.
Launch Event: Saturday 30 June 2018, London venue – details to follow
Residential Summer School: Monday 16 to Friday 20 July 2018, University of Bristol
Both the launch event and the summer school are an essential part of the programme.
Guaranteed offer to the University of Bristol
We are committed to attracting the very best students and hold Insight into Bristol graduates in high regard.
Successfully completing Insight into Bristol guarantees you an offer from the University, as long as you meet the entry requirements for your degree course. This includes meeting specified grades and subjects.
You will be eligible for a contextual offer for all undergraduate courses, which is usually two grades lower than the typical offer.
If you need to attend an interview or audition for your degree course, we offer a guaranteed interview or audition instead.
Insight into Bristol is open to students who meet all of the following criteria. You must:
- live within Greater London, or within an hour’s commute of central London;
- be in your first year of A-level study (or equivalent);
- attend a state school or college;
- be below the age of 18 during the residential summer school.
Where a subject stream is oversubscribed, preference will be given to those students who:
- have the academic ability to study at the University of Bristol (including meeting any GCSE entry requirements for their chosen subject stream);
- are part of the first generation in their family to go to university;
- live in an area of low participation in higher education as defined by POLAR4, which is a score of 1 or 2 for the category 'POLAR4 young participation quintile';
- attend an aspiring state school or college;
- are or have been eligible for free school meals;
- have spent three or more months in Local Authority care;
- are from an ethnic group that is under-represented at the University of Bristol (Asian Pakistani; Asian Bangladeshi; Black Caribbean; Black African; mixed backgrounds featuring one of these groups);
- have worked with IntoUniversity in the past.
Insight into Bristol is free for students to attend. The University of Bristol covers the following costs:
- travel to and from the University;
- meals and accommodation in a hall of residence.