Education courses for 2019
Education is a cornerstone of modern societies and human development. Our students:
- explore education from a wide range of different perspectives;
- gain insight into how people learn throughout their lives;
- think creatively about social change and social justice;
- investigate challenging educational questions to find transformative answers.
Why study Education at Bristol?
The School of Education is in the top 50 in the world* for the quality of our research and teaching, and we have a strong track record in preparing future educators and researchers.
Our education courses present an exciting and stimulating range of ideas that will make you think again about education's role in the world.
- learn how to investigate educational questions using different disciplinary perspectives;
- study experimental and social research methods that generate insights for educational practice and human behaviour;
- join a dynamic and friendly community of staff and students applying theory and research to real-world educational settings.
The School of Education has an excellent track record in teaching future educators and researchers and developing cutting-edge research. We provide an exciting study environment, embracing the spectrum of quantitative and qualitative research and teaching.
Our interactive and research-based approach to teaching will equip you with a range of transferable skills that you can take to any setting where education matters.
*University of Bristol ranked 43 worldwide for education in the QS World University rankings by subject 2017.
What kind of student would this course suit?
Our courses will appeal to you if you:
- have a passion for making a difference in the wider world;
- would like to study across a range of different disciplines;
- want to explore human behaviour and how we learn;
- would like to find out more about the role education can play in shaping a fairer society.
If you have an enquiring mind and are curious about the world around you and how it changes, you will enjoy our emphasis on hands-on research and the opportunities we provide to work with other students in planning and carrying out real-life investigations.
How is this course taught and assessed?
Our courses are taught through a combination of lectures, workshops, seminar discussions, guided independent study and tutorials. These offer an evidence-based and flexible basis for your intellectual development. You will learn to exercise sound judgement and innovate when faced with complex and novel problems.
You will be assessed through examinations, essays, research reports, the use of blogs and reflective journals, and poster and slide presentations. Tutor feedback will help you strengthen your knowledge and understanding of how to muster evidence from diverse sources and present a compelling argument using different media.
What are my career prospects?
Our degrees offer excellent preparation for careers working with children, young people, schools and families.
BSc Education Studies can lead to routes into primary teaching, careers in research and educational publishing, and jobs in the charity and community sectors.
BSc Psychology in Education is accredited by the British Psychological Society and provides a pathway to professional training in educational, clinical and counselling psychology.
Our wide range of approaches encourages a flexible mindset, the capacity to innovate and the ability to critically assess different kinds of data - key skills relevant to many careers.
Important disclaimer information about our courses.