Facilities/research at Bristol as a whole
Bristol is ranked 5th for research UK and has a culture which promotes excellence. There has been significant internal and external investment in research infrastructure at Bristol and Langford, producing state of the art facilities for genomic, proteomic, imaging, synthetic biology and translational research. Bristol Vet School has strong links with Schools in the Faculty of Social Sciences and Law.
Staff at Bristol Vet School undertake and collaborate on diverse areas of research. We receive funding from the UK Research Councils, such as BBSRC and ESRC, from charities such as Tubney Trust, Wellcome Trust or the RSPCA and work with the agricultural and pharmaceutical industries.
Our areas of research include
- Clinical studies on livestock and companion animals
- Welfare throughout life including at slaughter, during transport and in varied housing conditions
- Infectious diseases of many species
- Developmental studies
- Behavioural studies on livestock and companion animals
- Human diseases, including models of disease
- Food security both in the UK and globally
- Population medicine
- “Big data”
- Policy change and implementation of best practice
We carry out livestock research in nearly all of the research areas listed above in poultry, dairy, pigs, sheep and goats and in aquaculture