Skip to main content

Unit information: Bioinformatics Research Project in 2020/21

Unit name Bioinformatics Research Project
Unit code BIOLM0034
Credit points 60
Level of study M/7
Teaching block(s) Academic Year (weeks 1 - 52)
Unit director Dr. Paps Montserrat
Open unit status Not open
Pre-requisites

Project Planning.

Co-requisites

None.

School/department School of Biological Sciences
Faculty Faculty of Life Sciences

Description

This unit will comprise the individual research project of the students. The students will undertake a research project. This will be assessed by their project supervisors and a secondary assessor. The students will have opportunity perform a research project based on the plans, risk assessment, and literature review.

Intended learning outcomes

The Learning Outcomes (LOs) for this unit are:

A: Knowledge and Understanding:

1. to understand the concepts required to effectively execute a research project.

2. to integrate all the concepts learnt in the previous units (biological and informatic) in order to solve a scientific problem.

3. to acquire the concepts behind exploring the literature associated with a scientific question.

B: Intellectual Skills/Attributes:

1. to execute a research programme centred on a scientific question.

2. to implement the actions required to grant personal safety during the development of the project.

3. to write a final project report and design a presentation that communicates effectively the different elements of the research project.

Teaching details

The unit will be delivered regular supervision meetings with the research project supervisors.

Assessment Details

Summative assessment will be provided on two major tasks, one being a final project report (70% of the marks) and the other an oral presentation (30%). Project report will be formatted in in the style of a scientific paper (no longer than 6,000 words). The project report will be assessed by the project supervisor and a second assessor, the project presentation by the second assessor and a third assessor.

Reading and References

Most of the lecture material for the specific subjects considered in this Unit is taken from research papers and is not covered in any one textbook. You will receive a list of references at the start of teaching for this unit.

Feedback