School of Chemistry named 5th in the Country by Guardian University Guide 23 September 2020 The School of Chemistry has climbed into the top 5 Chemistry Departments in the UK, in the Guardian's annual university guide
- 2 ERC starting grants 1 October 2020 Congratulations to Alastair Lennox and Bryan Bzdek who have both won ERC starting grants!
- School of Chemistry named 5th in the Country by Guardian University Guide 23 September 2020 The School of Chemistry has climbed into the top 5 Chemistry Departments in the UK, in the Guardian's annual university guide
- Professor Shallcross honoured by American Chemical Society 10 September 2020 Professor of Atmospheric Chemistry Dudley Shallcross is to receive the 2021 George C. Pimentel Award by the American Chemical Society (ACS).
- Singing is no more risky than talking finds new COVID-19 study 21 August 2020 The performing arts has been badly affected during the coronavirus pandemic with live musical performances cancelled for many months because singing was identified as a potential "higher risk" activity. New collaborative research has shown that singing does not produce very substantially more respiratory particles than when speaking at a similar volume. The findings, published on the pre-print server ChemRxiv, are crucial in providing COVID-19 guidance for live musical performances and the safe distancing of performers and audience.
- Luke Jerram’s Palm Temple installed outside the School of Chemistry 12 August 2020 A spectacular installation by internationally renowned artist Luke Jerram is now on permanent display outside the main entrance of the University of Bristol’s School of Chemistry.
- Green Impact Silver Award 10 July 2020 The School of Chemistry Admin Team has been awarded the Silver Award by the Green Impact scheme.
- Ground-breaking project by scientists could help Government achieve UK’s net zero carbon target 26 June 2020 Chemists, biochemists and physicists at Bristol, Exeter and Sheffield have teamed up in a £7.25M 5-year project that could drive down the cost of energy production and help in the Government’s net zero carbon ambitions.
- Three Bristol chemists awarded by the Royal Society of Chemistry 24 June 2020 Three members of the School of Chemistry have received awards from the Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Air Quality Research for Primary School Children 9 June 2020 A resource which uses the UK’s Air Quality Archive and facilitates research by primary children, their teachers, and their carers, has now gone live.
- Chemical evidence of dairying by hunter-gatherers in highland Lesotho in the first millennium AD 20 May 2020 After analysing organic residues from ancient pots, a team of scientists led by the University of Bristol, including members of the School of Chemistry, has uncovered new evidence of dairying by hunter-gatherers in the landlocked South African country of Lesotho in the mid-late first millennium AD.