Funding your study support

You need to have funding in place for specialist support with undergraduate or postgraduate study. We recommend you look into funding options as early as possible.

Disabled Students' Allowances

UK home students can apply for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) to fund specialist study support. DSAs come from the UK government and are used to fund both undergraduate and postgraduate students. DSAs are grants, not loans, so there is never anything to pay back.

Specialist support may include assistive software and equipment, academic mentoring to help manage being at university with an ongoing health condition or mental health difficulty, or study skills tuition.

We advise all disabled UK home students to apply for DSAs. Apply early to make sure that your funding is in place when you start at university.

How to apply for DSAs

Online guidance and application forms are available for students from the following UK regions:

If you are disabled and have a studentship from a UK Research Council, you are eligible for DSAs but cannot use the regular application process. Please contact Disability Services for advice on how to get your DSAs in place:

Evidence to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs)

Eligibility and the evidence needed to apply for DSAs are set by your funder, not by the University of Bristol.

Evidence your funder will need may not always match the evidence the University needs to consider you for reasonable adjustments.

When you apply for DSAs, read your funder's eligibility criteria and details of the evidence they need to see. Find your regional funding body from the list above.

EU and international students

If you're from outside the UK, you will need to look into the funding available from your home country. You should organise your funding before you arrive at university. You are not able to apply for DSAs.

If you have a specialist support need, please contact us to discuss your options.

The University has a Disability Resource Fund (DRF) that may be able to help. This will depend on your individual needs and the other sources of funding you may have. Please email a Disability Adviser for further information:

Study support at the University

Support for all students includes: