Think Big: University welcomes future leaders to inaugural International Scholars Reception 18 October 2017 Over 100 scholars, representing 36 countries, attended the University of Bristol’s inaugural International Scholars Reception at the Wills Memorial Building this month.
- Winners of the prizes for the Best Doctoral Research Theses 2016/17 18 October 2017 Six University of Bristol postgraduates have been awarded £500 prizes for the exceptional quality of their research degree theses.
- Think Big: University welcomes future leaders to inaugural International Scholars Reception 18 October 2017 Over 100 scholars, representing 36 countries, attended the University of Bristol’s inaugural International Scholars Reception at the Wills Memorial Building this month.
- 48-million-year-old wax discovered in a bird fossil 18 October 2017 Researchers have analysed a well-preserved preening gland in a 48-million-year-old bird fossil and discovered original oil and wax molecules within it.
- Electroplating: the birth of a single nucleus caught ‘in camera’ 17 October 2017 Electroplating, or electrodeposition, is one of the most important processes in chemistry, in which a metal cation in solution can be reduced to its elemental form by applying an electrical potential to an electrode.
- Nanoantenna arrays power a new generation of fluorescence-based sensors 16 October 2017 Researchers from the Universities of Bristol and Bedfordshire, in collaboration with multinational company ABB, have designed and tested a series of plasmonic nanoantenna arrays that could lead to the development of a new generation of ultrasensitive and low-cost fluorescence sensors that could be used to monitor water quality.
- The science of seeing differently 16 October 2017 The truths about the brain and its perceptions will be explored by neuroscientist and founder of Lab of Misfits Studio at a free University of Bristol public lecture next month.
- Bristol academics become Fellows of the Academy of Social Sciences 16 October 2017 Three social scientists from the University of Bristol have been honoured as Fellows of the Academy of Social Sciences.
- University spin-outs announced as winners of major venture capital initiative 16 October 2017 Two University of Bristol spin-out companies, Zeetta Networks and KETS Quantum Security, have been announced as winners of a major venture capital initiative led by BT, the Telecom Infra Project (TIP) and Facebook, which will provide them with access to investors with funds totalling £125 million.
- Accountant switches track to pursue a PhD at Bristol 13 October 2017 Now a research associate in the School of Chemistry, Dr Julie Dunne started her career in a completely different field.
- Ancient DNA evidence finds no trace of early contact between Easter Islanders and South Americans 13 October 2017 Easter Island has long been a source of intrigue and mystery. How did such a small community of people build so many impressively large statues?