Round-up of publications and news in the OGU (March-May 2017)
1 June 2017
- Nancolas, B., Bull, I., Stenner, R., Dufour, V., Curnow, P., 2017., 'Saccharomyces cerevisiae Atf1p is an alcohol acetyltransferase and a thioesterase in vitro' Yeast. DOI: 10.1002/yea.3229
- Mayser, J. P., Flecker, R., Marzocchi, A., Kouwenhoven, T. J., Lunt, D. J., Pancost, R. D., 2017. Precession driven changes in terrestrial organic matter input to the Eastern Mediterranean leading up to the Messinian Salinity Crisis, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 462, 199-211. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2017.01.029
- Webb, E., Lewis, J., Shain, A., Kastrisianaki-Guyton, E., Honch, N., Stewart, A., Miller, B., Tarlton, J., Evershed, R.P., 2017, 'The influence of varying proportions of terrestrial and marine dietary protein on the stable carbon-isotope compositions of pig tissues from a controlled feeding experiment' Science and Technology of Archaeological Research,3(1), 36-52. DOI: 10.1080/20548923.2016.1275477
- Mileto, S., Kaiser, E., Rassamakin, Y. & Evershed, R.P., 2017. 'New insights into the subsistence economy of the Eneolithic Dereivka culture of the Ukrainian North-Pontic region through lipid residues analysis of pottery vessels' Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports, 13, 67–74. DOI: 10.1016/j.jasrep.2017.03.028
- Lewis, J., Pike, A.W.G., Coath, C. & Evershed, R.P., 2017, 'Strontium concentration, radiogenic (87Sr/86Sr) and stable (δ88Sr) strontium isotope systematics in a controlled feeding study.' Science and Technology of Archaeological Research, 3(1), 53-65. DOI: 10.1080/20548923.2017.1303124
- Evershed, R.P., Charteris, A., Maxfield, P., Bull, I. & Knowles, T.D.J., 2017. Dynamic compound-specific stable isotope probing of the soil microbial biomass. in KR Tate (ed.), Microbial biomass: a paradigm shift in terrestrial biogeochemistry, 7, World Scientific, pp. 169-202.
- Ostapkowicz, J., Schulting, R.J., Wheeler, R., Newsom, L., Brock, F., Bull, I. & Snoeck, C., 2017. 'East-central Florida pre-Columbian wood sculpture: Radiocarbon dating, wood identification and strontium isotope studies' Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports, 13, 595-608. DOI: 10.1016/j.jasrep.2017.03.035
- Hefter, J., Naafs, B. D. A., Zhang, S., 2017. Tracing the source of ancient reworked organic matter delivered to the North Altantic Ocean during Heinrich Events. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 205, 211-225
- Casanova, E., Knowles, T.D.J., Williams, C., Crump, M. & Evershed, R.P., 2017. 'Use of a 700 MHz NMR Microcryoprobe for the Identification and Quantification of Exogenous Carbon in Compounds Purified by Preparative Capillary Gas Chromatography for Radiocarbon Determinations' Analytical Chemistry, 89(13), 7090-7098. DOI: 10.1021/acs.analchem.7b00987
- OGU members Melanie Roffet-Salque, Simon Hammann and Jamie Lewis attended the 2017 UK Archaeological Science conference (UKAS) which was held at UCL. Melanie presented a paper titled "Towards the elucidation of the presence of long-chain fatty acids in archaeological lipid extracts from pottery" and Jamie presented a poster titled "'A Pif of a Problem'. Unpicking δ15N trophic systematic at the individual amino acids level".
- The Terrestrial Greenhouse Earth System ERC funded project (T-GRES) hosted a workshop (22nd-23rd May) at Bristol's M-Shed. The aim of the workshop was to discuss extreme warm climates throughout the history of the earth and how they help us understand the future of our planet. OGU members Rich Pancost, David Naafs, Gordon Inglis and Matt Carmichael organised and attended the event.
- Congraulations to JP Mayser who submitted his PhD thesis on the 21st March and passed his viva on the 24th May!
- The OGU took part in the annual Natural Systems and Processes Poster Session (NSPPS) an interdisciplinary poster session that showcases the wide range of research topics undertaken by graduate students across the University of Bristol.